Greene’s Inn

Greene's InnGreene’s Inn was constructed c. 1888 on the corner of Ocean and South Pier Roads. The hotel was constructed using English architecture, making it stand apart from the other hotels of the era. Steam heat was provided in the rooms, so the hotel could be used year-round. A large livery and handling stable were constructed behind the hotel to accommodate polo ponies. A beautiful telephone booth – one of the first in the country — was reportedly located in the lobby. Formerly the Southern Hotel (1880) had stood on this site, which was preceded by the Whaley House. The Inn burned in 1980, and a fireplace from the Inn was salvaged and placed in the stone wall at the corner of Ocean and South Pier Roads. The stone drinking trough for horses that is still at the intersection of Ocean Road and South Pier Road belonged to Greene’s Inn.
(Information source: Latimer, Sallie W., “Images of Narragansett by the Sea,” 1997.)