Mount Hope Hotel

The Mount Hope Hotel was constructed in 1871 by William C. Caswell on the corner of Ocean Road and Congdon Street. The hotel was later expanded to serve up to 300 guests. The main office of Western Union was in the popular hotel. In 1889 Edward Earl purchased the hotel and changed its name to The Berwick. Just five years later the hotel was purchased and demolished by Mr. F.S. Kinney to make room for his private residence.
(Source: Latimer, Sallie W., “Images of Narragansett by the Sea,” 1997.)