Narragansett News for July 27, 1888

A selection of news items from the Narragansett Times for Friday, July 27, 1888.


Mrs. Edwin B. Tucker of Point Judith, is seriously ill.

Col. Robert Rae of Chicago, is stopping at the Mount Hope

J. C. Tucker, jr. is recuperating from a sever attack of dyspepsia.

Colonel James Berret of Baltimore is among the recent arrivals at the Gladstone.

Captain Eugene Griffin, engineer corps, regular army, is stopping at the Atlantic house.

Miss M. Lizzie Carr, of Newport is visiting Miss Addie Caswell at the Mount Hope house.

Among the recent arrivals at the Mount Hope house is J. A. Roche, mayor of the city of Chicago

The electric lights are making a vast difference in the attendance at the Casino during the evening concerts.

The Daily Times will be sent the balance of the season for fifty cents. The season will not close until the middle of September.

Sherry’s new restaurant, west of Earlescourt, presents a pretty picture at night, when the entire building is lighted with electric lights.

Dr. A. A. Lulkens, who with his two daughters are stopping at the Gladstone, is one of the most prominent physicians of Jersey city.

Harris L. Sherman of Holyoke, Mass., on of the prominent lawyers of that flourishing city, is among the recent arrivals at the Mount Hope.

Ex-secretary of state Edwin D. McGuinness and family of Providence arrived last week at the Atwood house, where they will spend the remainder of the season.

One of the most enjoyable successes of the social line this season was the luncheon party given Tuesday by Miss Jessie Dews of Providence, at Overcliff cottage. Covers were laid for seventeen guests and the floral decorations were unusually fine. These were from W. D. Lee & Co. Sherry catered for the occasion.

Two new mails were put on last week at the Pier postoffice, making now five daily mails out and five received. The new out-going mail leaves the Pier at 10:40 and is a pouch direct for New York. An extra mail is received at five in the afternoon direct from New York and also from Providence and Boston. The facilities afforded are better this year than ever before, and the amount of mail matter handled was never larger. The last mail out at night, which closes at seven o’clock, is delivered in both New York and Philadelphia in the first morning delivery.

One of the first sales of real estate took place Wednesday , George H. Coursen of Baltimore selling his “Sea Croft” cottage and lot on Central street to I. R. Grossmann of Boston. Mr. Grossmann is the son-in-law of Edwin Booth, who with Mr. Grossman and family are spending the season at the Rockingham. The sale was made through C. E. Boon. Mr. Coursen purchased the cottage three years ago of Mrs. N. K. Bishop, and although the terms of this sale have not been made public, it is rumored that he has received quite a handsome advance on what it cost.

The electric lights upon the beach are going to make the spot interesting to the cottagers and hotel guests in the evening as well as during bathing hours. Certainly no prettier sight can be imagined than the curling waves breaking on the sands under the rays of the electric lights, and it is prophesied that the beach will become a favorite evening promenade. Guests can be assured of freedom from any objectionable features there as the chief of police says that he will have officers detailed for duty there during the evenings so that it may be as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.

The culinary department at the Mount Hope house this summer is certainly in good hands. The steward is Edward F. Wyeth of Boston, formerly of the “West End,” Long Branch, and for fifteen years at the Falmouth house, Boston. The chef is Wilson Sears of Boston, and he pronounced as above par. The pastry cook is John J. Hogan of New York, a baker and confectioner of experience in many first class houses. The head waiter is Thomas Bowles of Boston, and most of the table waitresses are American girls from Massachusetts and New Hampshire. The table service is said to be the best for a number of years.

What might have been a serious accident occurred Wednesday evening on the Kingstowne road. H. W. Partelow and family of Wakefield with others, occupying a three seated wagon of B. F. Keller were driving down to the Pier and when alongside of the trench dug for the water works the horses became frightened and sheering threw the carriage against the row of iron pipes on the opposite of the road, the pole was broke and Mr. Keller thrown out. Both he and Mr. Parelow were somewhat bruised, while the rest of the party luckily escaped. Chief of police Sprague had the road closed at both ends of the trench on hearing of the accident and a watchman was stationed there for the rest of the night.

The luncheon party at Overcliff cottage on Tuesday was given by Miss Mollie and Miss Mary Dews, to the Misses Davis of Providence, who are guests at the cottage. Covers were laid for seventeen, the tables being spread upon the wide piazzas, and the guests were: The Misses Davis, the Misses Campbell, Miss Carrie Marrow of Baltimore, and Miss Hellen Carter, Mr. Thomas Stead, Mr. Blair, Mr. Meigs, Mr Shepard, Mr. Sackett, Mr. Weeden, Mr. Steele, Mr. Trotter, and Master Fred Dews. The floral decorations from W. S. Lee florist, were very find, and of the luncheon suffice it to say that Sherry was the caterer. Dancing upon the lawn was indulged in after the luncheon was over.

The work of discharging and placing the pipe for the water-works was commenced this week and teams have been kept busy distributing it along the highways. Commencing at the depot the pipe has been strung the entire length of Boon street, also on Central street, and on the Kingstowne road westward from the Delavan house corner. Nearly one hundred laborers, mostly Italians, arrived Saturday. They are to be employed in digging the trench and putting in the mains. A building has been put up for them near the Sprague pond, where they will live while the work is going on. The main between the Pier and the pumping-station is to be the first put in, after which the other parts of the work will be pushed as rapidly as possible. The pumps and engine has been contracted for, and in less time than can be imagined water will be ready for those who require it, both at the Pier and in the villages.

A new flagstaff now surmounts the roof of the Massoit house.
Lieutenant C. H. Harlow of the navy is at the Rockingham.

Fred Vanderbilt’s steam yacht Vedette visited the Pier Monday morning.

Colonel Jams M. Bell, of the regular army, is a guest at the Atwood house.

Thomas Grimes and family of Providence, arrived on Saturday at the Atwood.

Rev. Joseph R. Korr, D.D., of New York will preach at the Presbyterian church on Sunday.

Mrs. Roger A. Pryor and Miss Pryor of New York arrived on Saturday at the Rockingham.

James F. How, vice president of the Wabash railroad, is with his family at the Rockingham.

Colonel McCauley, commandant of the U. S. Marine corps at Washington, arrived Monday, and is topping at the Delevan.

The Tower Hill barge has commenced its regular trips. It gives an opportunity to those who wish to visit the heights.

Signal officer J. O. Conway wore an unusually beaming face yesterday. Cause: the safe arrival of another son and heir.

Louis H. Hast, a distinguished musical instructor of Louisville, Kentucky is stopping with his family at the Rockingham.

W. H. L. Lee of New York, and Dr. S. B. Ward of Albany, New York are guests of Mr. and Mrs. Willard P. Ward at Breezecote.

L. H. Dulles of Philadelphia, who during past seasons has been one of the most popular young men at the Pier, is now stopping at the Mathewson.

M. A. Webster has contracted to run the watering cart which since the beginning of the season has been under the charge of William C. Caswell.

A chair car now leaves the Pier each day for Boston on the 5.10 train in the afternoon, which makes the trip much more pleasant than formerly.

L. Spencer Goble of the Mutual Benefit Life Insurance company of New York, accompanied by his wife, is at Oakes Tower Hill hotel for the season.

Colonel Vincent Marmaduke of St. Louis, a brother of governor Marmaduke of Missouri, is visiting his daughter, Mrs. Cary of the Delavan cottage.

Railroad agents who visit the Pier say that it is ahead of any resort on the coast in point of numbers. They all report the season as rather dull elsewhere.

Frank Watson put out a handsome new sign in front of his pharmacy Saturday evening. it is a large prismatic mortar, illuminated by an electric light in the interior.

The ladies of the Presbyterian church are arranging for a fair to be given at the Casino about the second of August. It is hoped that it may be as successful as that of last year.

Elmer Crandall appeared on the streets yesterday with a new combination T card and wagonette, in natural maple, a handsome vehicle and one of the neatest public carriages at the Pier.

The wife and daughter of governor Alger of Michigan are among recent arrivals. Mr. Alger was a candidate for the presidential nomination at the republican convention.

T. A. Hungerford, editor and proprietor of the Hotel Gazette of New York, is spending a few days at the Continental, after which he is to go to the Tower Hill house as the guest of landlord Oakes.

The Roger Williams band brought down a large number of excursionists with them upon their excursion Saturday night. The band made a parade through the principal streets, but gave no concert during the evening. The party returned on a late train.

There are whispers of numberless swell receptions and luncheons in the air, while plans for a german that is intended to eclipse even those of previous seasons is being matured. Altogether, the month of August is likely to be very gay at Narragansett Pier.

A kirmiss, their first ever held at the Pier, is to be given about the fifteenth of August, and active preparations are already being made to make it the most successful entertainment of the season, and judging from the ladies who have charge of the arrangements, it ought to be a success.

The schooner yacht Glimpse, owned by Benoni Lockwood, a summer resident at the Pier, and which often frequents these waters, ran ashore near Greenwich, Connecticut, early last Wednesday morning and was sunk. She was afterwards raised and towed to a near harbor for repairs.

The white wood souvenirs of the Pier that are on exhibition at Roake’s Bijou store on Beach street are of German manufacture. Each bears a photograph print of the Casino or the beach, and they are decided novelties. A few of these wares have been seen here before, but none with these views upon them. The views were taken from one of Reckless Charlie’s pictures last winter.

A party of Pier guests made up a fishing excursion on Saturday. The party comprised ex-secretary of state Edwin D. McGuinness, D. R. Southwidk, jr. of Wakefield, D. Stevenson of Earlscourt, and colonel McCord of New York. Captain H. Knowles of Point Judith, accompanied the party which may account for the excellent luck they had, capturing over one hundred and fifty pounds of tautog besides other fish.

W. Herbert Casswell just had put into the office of the district clerk an office desk and cabinet for the district. It was build by J. C. Tucker, jr. according to designs made by Mr. Caswell, and it is a model of convenience and utility, with receptacles for all the blanks and forms used; also other stationary of the district, and the books of record, etc. It is a handsome piece of office furniture although severely plain.

George Davis, who was a arrested here and sent to the jail at Cranston July seventeenth to work out a fine of five dollars and costs for drunkenness, died Saturday morning. Friday night he was apparently in perfect health, and picked berries on the prison grounds. Saturday morning he was taken sick and carried to the hospital. Within fifteen minutes after he walked into the hospital apartment he was dead. Death was from heart failure. Davis leaves a family at Narragansett Pier. He was fifty-one years of age.

Notes to 21st century readers:
— “J. C. Tucker, jr.” — We have met J. C. Tucker, Jr., in these pages multiple times. He was a successful business man in Narragansett (mentioned in 125 year old news items for April 13, 1888, May 4, 1888, and a report on the town division meeting). He owned businesses, including a store and the Atwood Hotel.
— “J. A. Roche” — John A. Roche (1844 – 1904) was mayor of Chicago from 1887 to 1889.
— “Sherry’s new restaurant” — This is Louis Sherry (1855 – 1926), renowned New York City resteratuer and caterer who had become quite involved with Narragansett.
— “Edwin D. McGuinness” — Edwin Daniel McGuinness (1856 – 1901) served as Rhode Island’s first Irish Catholic Secretary of State. He then was elected as city alderman in Providence and then (1894) became the first Irish Catholic mayor of Providence.
— “George H. Coursen” — Mr. Coursen was apparently a businessman and an inventor, holding patents on such thins as nailbrushes, glove fasteners, shoe fasteners, pencil sharpeners, and lighting for mirrors.
— “Mr I R Grossman” — See the News for July 13, 1888 to read more about him, his wife, and his father-in-law.
— “Fred Vanderbilt’s steam yacht” — Frederick William Vanderbuilt (1859 – 1938), son of William Henry Vanderbilt (and grandson of “Commodore” Cornelius Vanderbilt). In 1878 he married his first cousin, Louise Holmes Anthony Torrance, who was not only older than him, she was divorced from her first husband. He owned a number of fine mansions in New York, in Newport, in Bar Harbor, in the Adirondacks, and so on. He graduated from Yale and over his life gave Yale a lot of money and had several buildings erected on their campus. He owned a number of yachts, including the steam-powered Vedette. He must have liked that name, because in 1916 he bought Virginia, a steam yacht, and renamed it Vedette. He then loaned on a free-lease basis to the Navy which armed it and used it as a convoy escort and patrol boat overseas. After the war, her weapons were removed and she was returned to Vanderbilt. In 1924 he had a 158 foot diesel-powered yacht also named Vedette. Its fittings were made by Parisian cabinet makers.
— “L. Spencer Goble” — At one point Charles J. Guiteau — the assassin of President Garfield — had briefly worked for Mr. Goble at Mutual Benefit Life Insurance (and had borrowed $25 from Mr Goble — which he never repaid) and Mr. Goble was called as a prosecution witness at Guiteau’s murder trial where he testified that it had never occurred to him that Guiteau was insane.